Skip to main content

For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside of Marriage


How and why is a particular social group represented in a certain way?

The article "For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside of Marriage" was written for the New York times to depict single motherhood as a negative thing that increases poverty rates and the suffering of emotional and behavior problems in children. Bias by omission and bias through statistics is used throughout to marginalize single moms.  The authors have presented the social group in a bad light to support their own personal conservative ideologies. This is unfair as it is the job of journalists to be as unbiased as possible in order to highlight the other side of the story.



How could the text be read and interpreted differently by two different readers?

The article "For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside of Marriage" is about the negative impacts of single motherhood. The author uses bias in order to mirror his conservative ideologies. This restricts the reader only to the information that is present in the article which allows  for the reader to either agree or disagree with the condemning nature of the authors standpoint on the issue.

Comments

  1. Good job on providing a general statement and narrowing the focus of each question. However, I think your argument could be concise, in terms of how the answer to each question is developed throughout the particular text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall good concise introduction while providing general statements that explain the focal point of the questions asked. Nevertheless you could have done instead of your broad argument it could be more succinct. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh hello people, let me introduce myself. My name is Milly, I am from the Netherlands but also have a Canadian passport. Where I am from is quite complicated and explaining takes a whole lot time. At times I don't even know where I am truly from. In fact my parents wanted to move back to Canada this year, for a fear I might have an identity crisis. I have been living in Abu Dhabi for two years now, and its been the best time of my life. The culture and all the diversity is so amazing and such a breath of fresh air from a small town in Canada I used to live in.  Since I am bilingual and english is my second language, I have always struggled with writing. I hope that this year I will be able to improve on those skills. It is important to study language because language is how you communicate with others and express yourself .  The things I most care about would be my family and friends.  These are the people that get me going and the reason I wake up in the morning. I know that

MLK Response

In the speech “ I have a dream” written by Martin Luther King, metaphors and hyperboles are used to evoke a sense of empathy and support from all Americans. Conveying a message that his dream of racial justice and freedom is for both blacks and whites. Luther compares the massive suffering of the African American community more relatable hardships such as "being bound in chains", "sweltering heat" and "a lonely island of poverty". These metaphors intertwined with hyperboles are far more easy to picture than racial oppression and police brutality.  Furthermore, Luther uses repetition to emphasize on his message of freedom. With every point he tries to make Luther uses  repetition  to  genuinely  impact his audience. Such as " But  one hundred years later , the Negro still is not free.  One hundred years later , the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination.  One hundred years later

Media and Pop Culture Analysis

Pop culture is the common popular ideas, attitudes, beliefs or trends shared by society. It emerged in the 20th century and has been shared through media.  Media messages are constructed using creative techniques, but the construction process is invisible to viewers, readers, and listeners. The messages presented by influencers and advertisers to society are carefully manufactured through many different layers of production, editing and filtering before the final product is released. Viewers only see the final product and this is how false beauty standards and inauthentic ideas are created. However towards the viewer it looks as if the images are genuine. Especially young people fall into the trap of entering contests and promoting a celebrity online just to get a retweet or attention from the celebrity or company, not realizing that this a ploy or advertising strategy in order to build bigger brand. Companies and celebrities use this creative invisible process to their a